Available in Utah via Comcast on Demand by going to Utah on Demand, "Life & Home -UT," then "Cook With Tom"

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Orange Meringue Cookies

Delicious!!! This cookie is light and airy, with just a hint of orange.

2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
2/3 cup sugar
2 drops of orange oil (or 1/4 tsp of orange extract)

Make sure your mixing bowl is absolutely clean.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks.

Add the sugar in small batches, beating till stiff peaks form

Add orange oil (or extract) and mix using a rubber spatula

Place on a parchment covered baking sheet using a rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until firm, and the bottom is lightly browned.

Transfer parchment paper to a cookie rack and let cool.

Makes about 15 cookies.

3 comments:

aLi said...

Interesting... all the cookies I ever bake make at least 2 dozen cookies. :)

Cook with Tom said...

I make them big, so they tend to make less...

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

just so you know....I LOVE anything orange flavored!!! When I was 18, I worked in a nursing home in Boise, Idaho and a little favorite patient of mine gave me her orange/carrot cookie recipe. It is written in her handwriting and still in my recipe box. sniff, sniff.

Sweet! These oughta take a prize! love, MOm